Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Homemade Popsicle Recipes For Kids & Grown-Ups

I've been searching for a kick-ass popsicle recipe book for a while now, so I am pretty darned excited to tell you about Perfect Pops, a brand new cookbook by Charity Ferreira.

After purchasing my shiny new popsicle molds last month, I really wanted to find some exciting (but not over the top) recipes to help us make the most of the summer with fruity flavor combinations that would tickle our tastebuds without the addition of artificial dyes and corn syrup.


When I discovered Perfect Pops - The 50 Best Classic & Cool Treats on Amazon, I immediately pre-ordered a copy in hopes that it would satisfy my craving for popsicles filled with fresh, seasonal fruits and healthy ingredients. It arrived earlier than I expected and I just couldn't wait to share it here with you!

Cherry Pops (pg. 30)

Let me start by saying that every inch of this book is just as lovely as the cover. Honestly, I was tempted to lick the pages! The photos are amazing and inspiring! It's small size (7 x 8 inches) and hardcover make it a charming giftable book for summer birthdays and wedding showers when paired with a set of fun-shaped popsicle molds.


The 94 page book is divided into four sections; Fruity Pops, Creamy Pops, Fancy Pops and Grown-Up Pops. The variety of recipes will knock your socks off. Seriously, there is something for everyone in this book! It has a perfect balance of classic favorites and modern inventions with flavors that range the globe. Many of the recipes like the Triple-Layered Rocket Pops have a totally kid-friendly, ice cream truck appeal to them while others are are spiked with alcohol and include savory, grown-up twists on popsicles that are impressive enough to serve at dinner parties, weddings and fancy events.

Strawberry Cheeseckae Pops (pg. 46)

What I love most about the recipes is that while the popsicles look exotic, most of the ingredients are actually quite simple and readily available. I was also impressed by the inclusion of vegetables, edible flower petals and spices in several of the recipes. These are all things that I want my girls (ages 11 and 15) to appreciate and learn to cook with, so I am excited to bring this book along to the farmers market and grocery store with us and let them choose recipes to make on their own.

I should also add that our family is vegetarian/vegan and the creamy popsicle recipes are easy to veganize by substituting the ingredients with non-dairy milks, yogurts, ice cream, etc.

Mango Lassi Pops (pg. 48)

We made the Mango Lassi Pops last night and they were superb! We used organic frozen mango chunks instead of fresh mangos because we had stash in freezer that needed to be eaten. YUM!

We've already made a shopping list of the popsicle-making ingredients that we don't already have on hand. I think we'll spend the summer working our way through every recipe. I personally can't wait for fresh peaches to try the Bourbon-Peach Pops... Next up, Pineapple Pops with Chile & Lime, Balsalmic Strawberry Pops and Blackberry-Iced Tea Pops!


The retro-chic vibe in this book will definitely bring back fond memories of summers from your own childhood, but it will also inspire you to create fresh, flavorful treats to share with your children, friends and family for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment