Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Squid Out Of Water

This blog has always just served as a landing page of sorts for all my other online adventures, but you may have noticed that it has recently taken on a new life. The reason being, I have been cut-off, in a way, from the little corner of the web that used to occupy the majority of my work day. It was not a choice, not mine nor theirs. The interruption came from an outside intruder.

I was alone when it all went down. The attack came without warning and was over before anyone or anything had a chance to fight back. The sly beast must have creeped in quitely, sitting dormant until the timing was right. The plan worked. No one suspected a thing until it was too late. Everything went black and my trusty sidekick eMachine was weak from the battle and we were out of ammo. He put up a strong fight, but in the end he was no match for the viral bandit. I couldn't bear to see him suffer any longer, so we said our goodbyes and I pulled the plug. We buried him under an old quilt in the back corner of my closet.

I was grief-stricken. The mourning period lasted much longer than I expected. Many moons later hope returned and I finally felt it was time to let go and move on. I spent more time with my old friend Asus Eee who had gotten sluggish in his old age. His processor had dementia and it swirled into a frozen slate whenever I visited my old swimming hole. After a while, I gave up and stopped trying.

I was a squid out of water. I was scared. I was frustrated. I didn't know what to do next. I was beached and seeing all the other squids swimming freely and soaring into deeper water made me feel sad, but I didn't want to be. I had always been a happy squid and knew that I would have to find a way fill the emptiness in my heart until I found a way to dive back in.

So, here I am. A lost squid stranded on an island blog. If I could send a message in a bottle, it would probably go something like this:

"Dear Mr. Godin,


This month marks the anniversay of my fourth year on Squidoo and unfortunately I can't log in to my account to celebrate, so save me a cupcake and don't throw the confetti just yet. If my ship comes in, I'll return with flippers on. Until then, know that I miss you and please keep sending those paychecks.


p.s.
If you happen to bump into Steve Jobs, please tell him that this island could use a Mac.


Love always,
enslavedbyfaeries"

Despite the frustration and expense of losing my only computer fast enough to keep up with the inner working of Squidoo's lensbuilder, I have to admit that I'm learning to like blogging and plan to devote a bit more time to it in future months. Please bear with me while I learn to adapt. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment